Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Truths: Sad & Happy

Let me just get some things out of the way here right off.

--I am 36. And being 36 sucks because 40 is eyeballing me and seems to be spoiling for a fight.

--I am 6'1" 1/3. But if you ask me how tall I am, I will tell you that I am 6'3". -G-, how tall are you? I am 6'3"!

--I have been working out on a consistent basis since May. I had to have my wisdom teeth remove and after that I really got serious about going to the gym. Before that, I was pretty hit and miss. I just did enough to fool myself into thinking that I was trying.

--I didn't start exercising in an effective manner until mid-Sept. Before that, I worked out on my own and did the same exercises over and over. At first I lost some weight and felt better, but I bottomed out and started getting at lot of fatigue injuries. Nothing serious just pulls and strains that make an already difficult task, downright loathsome.

--Things changed for me when I saw a bulletin board in my why about a member who had lost 86lbs. He had started going to the early bird fitness classes that start between 5:30am & 6:00am M-F. I started going to these classes too. (I'll write more about this later).

--I've been down this road before. I moved to Japan in 2003 and lived there for 3 years. In that time, I lost 50 lbs. I went to the gym a lot my 2nd & 3rd years in Japan, but I lost most of my weight during the 1st. I ate less and better, walked or rode a bicycle nearly everywhere, and vomited a good deal on the weekend due to a group of friends that would meet up in Tokyo on the weekend and pound beers all night until the trains stared running in the morning and mercifully carry our sorry selves back to our towns. It was hard on the old liver, but guaranteed a weekend of light meals (especially for a guy who earned the nickname "Puck Skywalker") Yes I vomited atop Mt. Fuji, Japan's most sacred Mountain, and all over a Korean airliner) but at least I did get any on the Prime Minister http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo When I returned from Japan, my eating habits fell apart, I drove everywhere, stopped going to the gym, and I Ba-LOON-ed, and gained back 36lbs!

So, where am I now? I am doing well. I've lost those 36lbs again, but it has me scared because I know just how easy it would be to let it go and put it all right back on.

Here are the most Sad & Happy truths:

In 2003, I weighed 330 when I left for Japan.
In 2006, I weighed 282 when I returned to America.
In 2009, I weighed 316 when I went to the Doctor in Jan.
In 2010, I weighed 282 when I went to the Doctor on Jan 6th.

Now, this 282 is a more solid and action packed 282 than I ever had in Japan, but it is still 282, and I want to be 230.

These are my Truths both Sad & Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment