Monday, April 23, 2012

Building The Active Runner Dad: Greg.1

Here is the first installment of a new focus here at Locker29.  I am going to be a parent soon, and my fitness journey is no longer all about me.  No, this Blog focus will not change into a place where I share photo's of my child and detail their growth (I am sure a few of those will pop up from time to time), but the focus will be the detail's of my quest to provide my child with a blueprint of a happy, healthy, and active lifestyle.  I did not grow up with good examples of active healthy living.  Some of this was due to the times, and other parts were due to circumstances.  Yes, I was often told that I should go out and play, exercise, or play sports, but I wasn't around people, who incorporated healthy activities or good eating habits into their everyday life.  I am not blaming anyone.  More, I am just trying to except what I see as my responsibility as a parent to provide those examples to my child
Me Running on Vacation in Hawaii

Therefore, it is my number one mission to provide those examples to my child.  I want them to always think of their father as someone, who loves to be active.  I want them to see me as someone, who eats healthy foods.  And, I want them to grow up thinking that this lifestyle is normal.  My thinking has been moving in this direction for some time now, and I have even considered changing the name of this blog to reflect this direction, but have ruled out a name change for now.  However, the main focus of this blog will now be detail my efforts to be in the best shape of my life when my child enters this world and embrace the healthy life that I want for my child.  Currently, my diet is pretty healthy.  Luckily, my wife Hiroko, is a very supportive partner and agrees with me on the importance of good health.  I am exercising a lot.  But, there is still more that I can do and must do inorder to insure that I provide the example that I want.  I know that becoming a parent is going to bring about a lot of changes in my life, and I have told Hiroko that I am willing to give up all of my current hobbies with the exception of running and exercise.  I am even prepared to give up watching the Raiders and hockey before I give up running.  For anyone who knows me well, these word might seem unimaginable.  But, I've been building towards this level of commitment over the last few years, and I would not have brought a child into this world if I weren't willing to their best interests above my desires.  I hope that my friends and readers will be active participants as I try to build Greg.1 -- The Active Runner Dad.  And, I hope that you will enjoy reading about my attempts to put my words into practice.   
 

2 comments: