Monday, December 5, 2011

Back to the Joys of Training : 12/5

The title of this post may sound facetious, but I mean it as earnestly as possible.  During my last round of training for the Neuse River Bridge Run, I came to realize that I enjoyed the structure that training for a specific event provided me.  Following the race, I missed having my training planned out for me.  In addition, once I began to experience pain from obvious over use injuries, it was easy to go back over my training and look for ways to improve.  

Last week was my second week of training for my second Half Marathon, and I am cautiously optimistic that my approach is much more sound this time around.  I am trying to add more balance to my workouts by riding the exercise bike and skipping rope.  Also, I am running more on the Dreadmill in hopes of giving my legs a bit of a break.  For now, my Dreadmill runs are limited to my 3 mile runs on Tuesdays and Saturdays.  Once I start to increase my Saturday mileage those runs will come off of the Dreadmill and go back outside.  In addition, I have returned to my morning workout schedule because it is more difficult to run outside in the evenings since the time change and doing so allows me to better manage my day.

Last week, I ran on four days and XT two.  I did an additional XTing on Sunday afternoon (mainly b/c the Raider's were getting their butt's kick by the Fins and I need to get the frustrations out. 

Right now My favorite song to listen to while running or working out is River of Deceit by Mad Season.  This song is one of those songs that spoke to me while I was in college for a whole different set of reasons than it does now.  However, it still speaks to me.



My pain is self-chosen
At least, so The Prophet says
I could either burn
Or cut off my pride and buy some time
A head full of lies is the weight, tied to my waist

The River of Deceit pulls down, oh oh
The only direction we flow is down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down

My pain is self-chosen
At least I believe it to be
I could either drown
Or pull off my skin and swim to shore
Now I can grow a beautiful shell for all to see

The River of Deceit pulls down, yeah
The only direction we flow is down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down

The pain is self-chosen, yeah
Our pain is self-chosen
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down
Down, oh down

No comments:

Post a Comment