Thursday, October 6, 2011

On Step Closer: 10/4

I stole this from runjodirun
My first Half Marathon, The Neuse River Bridge Run, is less than 9 days away as I write this post.  At this point I am really excited and just can't wait for the day to arrive.  My 12 mile run on Sunday gave me a to of confidence, and I feel good about the race.  I have done nearly all of my training on my own, but have followed the training plan that I selected for Runner's World nearly to the letter.  I wanted to do my training on my own because I wanted to own whatever happens come race day.  It was entirely my choice to run a half, so I wanted the responsibility of the training to fall on myself as well.  I have learned a lot about myself over the last 10 weeks and have come to understand a lot about why running appeals to me.  I've come to realize that I love the internal struggle running presents.  Every time I put on my shoes and get ready to go for a run, it is another opportunity to ask myself if I have enough courage and fortitude to accomplish the goal that I have set for myself that day.  I have come to cherish my time on the trials or streets, and longer distances no have fear attached to them.  I still respect them, but I am confident that by training and dedication I can eventually achieve any distance goal that I set for myself.  Sunday, I ran 12 miles and spent well over 2 hours running, and it was, by far, a wonderful investment of my time.


Tuesday, I shook off the soreness of Sunday's long run with a 3 miler in Umstead. 

I did 3 miles in 31:18.67 for 10:26 pace.  The first two mile were rough, but I felt well sorted out by the end of mile two, and the third mile was a dream.

1 11:05
2 10:54
2 9:18

1 comment:

  1. Look at you, a Runner. Wow. How many people can say, "I ran 12 miles on Sunday"? Not too many. :)

    Go Greg!!

    ReplyDelete