Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Slog Fest Part 1: March 12

I have no one to blame for this run turning into crap but myself.  I should have left my house by 9am at the latest, but I managed to screw around, watch 4 hours of The Walking Dead (I have a thing for Zombie movies/TV Shows), do some dishes and laundry, play with my cat, and just waste time until 2pm.  I had planned on running in Umstead, but that idea went out the window when the clock struck 2 because I would not be back in time to pick Hiro from work if I did.  So, I decided to just drive to Hiroko's work and leave the car for her and run home.  My idea was to just enjoy a pleasant run through Glenwood, Glenwood South, Cameron Park, and Cameron Village before returning home on a nice warm little lazy Saturday afternoon.  However, it wasn't at all meant to be.  I hadn't really realized just how much a 30 degree shift in temperature would effect me, but I was about to find out.  I know that it is stating the obvious to say that running in the 60's and 70's is a whole lot different than running in the 30's and 40's, but the obvious was obviously lost on my dumb ass!  I should have known this run was going to be a total shit show when I saw this guy mid way through mile 1:

Greg, read the signs!

By then everything felt wonky.  My feet were sore, knee was clicking, hip ached . . . nothing felt right and it was in my head.  Heck, I had even forgot to switch Old Bob over from cycling to running.  I tried to force myself to run 4 miles but by mile 2 I was heading for home and just hoping not to breakdown.  Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I managed to startle a  homeless man who proceed to yell at me in bum speak. I didn't mean to interrupt his conversation with the inner voices/gods/ancient Atlantian's, but he seem to look at my little wave as I went by him as some obsene finger gesture and proceeded to launch into a bit of a tirate.  So after speeding up just enough to put him out of ear shot, I went right back into full on slog mode the rest of the way home. 

I ended up doing 3.86 miles in 39.22 for a 10:11 pace, which in retospect was not that aweful, but in the future, I will really need to pay attention to the temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment