Friday, September 23, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing ? 9/18

There is a tough reality out there that I need to wrap my mind around quickly, which is that I can not get back the fitness level that I had before my illness by pushing to the edge of my training limits.  I don't like to admit this, but I have reached my fatigue threshold.  Both my mental and physical energy levels have been running low over the last week.  I've had some lingering soreness in my knee and shin following runs, also my energy level hasn't been rebounding after my runs as quickly, and I am pretty sure that this stems from over training.  I know . . . I know . . . I know . . .  that it is pretty common for people to push themselves too hard when coming back from injury.  But, it is such and easy mental trap to fall in.  You are so keenly aware of the drop off in your fitness level because of your injury, and it is only logical to to think that you need to work extra hard to get back what you lost. However, that line of thinking is just a trap that will soon have you wanting to gnaw a limb off. 
So, in order to compensate for this I plan on scaling back my training over the next few weeks.  I am going to drop down to one cross training workout per week, and pull out a couple of my three milers over the next two weeks.  I hope by reducing my training level that I can avoid a serious set back and reach the Half Marathon feeling both healthy and energized.  Lets face it, I am (at the time I type this) three weeks out from running my half.  Any kind of set back at this point would be heartbreaking. 

Sunday's run:

6 miles in 1:04:54 for a 10:48 pace.

1 10:42
2 10:29
3 11:13
4 10:55
5 11:09
6 10:21

1 comment:

  1. I think that you are wise to be proactive BEFORE something happens. Your body speaks to you and you just have to listen. If you are tired, you can't help it and have to give it some extra rest.

    ReplyDelete