Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sun July 11th: First Day Lifting

Wow, talk about a change of pace.  I knew that switching to weights would be a big change, but it was shocking just how strenuous it felt.  One of my co-workers gave me this workout plan that he has been doing since January, and I decided to give it a try.  I didn't really follow it correctly, but it was either way it was still a beast.  I will do it right next time.  I know that this change will be good for me because I have been doing a lot of conditioning but not as much strengthening.  I know that lifting will increase my metabolism, which will help me to burn more fat as I build more muscle. However, the danger with lifting and building muscle as you main way of losing weight is that if you don't keep up with it you weight will return quickly, which is one of the main reasons that I have avoided lifting until now.  But, I think that now is the time to make the switch because my body has gotten used to the workouts that I have been doing for the last six months, so I am no longer getting the most effective workouts.  By switching things up, I'll force my body to make adjustments and thus get a more effective workout.

Here is the workout:

Chest: Dumbbell Bench Press: 12 reps @ 20lbs, 10 reps @ 25lbs, 8 @ 30 lbs, 6 @ 35lbs.
          Cable Crossovers: 12 Reps @ 30lbs
          Dumbbell Flyes: 12 Reps @ 20lbs
Back: Pull Ups (assisted): 12 Reps @ 18A, 10 @ 16A, 8 @ 15A, 6 @ 14A (Lower #A is less help)
          Wide Grip Lat Pull downs 12 @ 110lbs
          Straight-Arm Pull downs 12 @ 20lbs
Shoulders: Seated Dumbbell Press: 12 reps @ 20lbs, 10 reps @ 25lbs, 8 @ 25 lbs, 6 @ 30lbs.
                 Reverse Flyes 12 @ 110lbs
                 Straight Arm Dumbbell Rows 12 @ 15 lbs
Biceps: Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 12 reps @ 20lbs, 10 reps @ 25lbs, 8 @ 30 lbs, 6 @ 35lbs.
            Hammer Curls: 12 Reps @ 25 lbs
            Preacher Curls: 12 @ 50 lbs
Triceps: Bench Dips 12 reps, 10, 8, 6
             Seated Triceps Presses (two arms) 12 reps @ 25 lbs
             Triceps Kickbacks: 12 @ 15 lbs

This kicked my butt.  However, I plan to do it again this week.  It was really effective, and I am still sore from the pull ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment