Monday, August 22, 2011

Return to Cross Training: 12 Days of Christmas -- 8/19

To say that I've gotten soft after six nearly two months of little to no cross training is a massive understatement.  To make matters worse, the state of my cross training was not that great prior to my illness, so the slide that has taken place was all to predictable.  I really don't mind cross training, but I had become too dependent on workout classes to provide me my cross training.  These classes were often boring, frustrating and time consuming, which provided me with plenty of ways to justify my own slacker ways.  Now that I am training for the half marathon, I have decided to hold myself accountable for my cross Training and will depend upon workout classes to provide my with my workout.  I have selected of few of my favorite workouts from the classes that I really enjoyed and will be doing them on my own in order to get in my cross training.  I started planning the workouts in advance and have them planned out for the next three weeks.  I will do my best to make sure that they are varied and intense enough to produce the type of result that I need.  I did the first of these workouts last Friday:

  1. Lap around the indoor track (1/15 of a mile)
  2. Step up (each leg)
  3. Dips
  4. Bird Dogs
  5. Push ups
  6. Bicycles
  7. Prisoner Squats (with an elbow to knee leg raise on each side)
  8. Lunges w/ 15lb weighted ball (each leg)
  9. Side oblique crunches (each side)
  10. Standard Crunch
  11. Crossover Crunch (each side)
  12. Fire Hydrant (each leg with a leg extension)
This workout was really good and got me really sweaty.  I also rode my bike to and from the gym as a warm up and cool down for this workout.  The lunges left me painfully sore for the next two days.  I can't remember the last time I had done them in a workout and the were certainly needed.

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya, Greg, I need to take a lesson from you with the cross training...I'm a lame-o.
    LOVE Ugly Duckling, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatshake is one of my favorite albums from any genre of music. Just an all around quality disc. I like cross training . . . I really do . . . But I would rather go for a run any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete