Friday, April 30, 2010

23rd & 24th: The Wheels

The wisdom tooth pain had subsided by this point, but my jaw will take some months to fully heal, and these workout gave me a preview of what is to come. My strength is back on track, but when I run (on concrete is the worst) I feel every vibration right in my Jaw bone. It is bad at the beginning of the workout, in the middle I get use to it, but by the end--it is worse that it was to start with. However, I don't plan on shying away from this pain. I read a quote by Lance Armstrong the other day that has really made me think about the nature of pain and struggle:


"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

Now, I know that I must respect the pain that I feel. Injuries can't be ingnored, but they are also not an excuse either. Honestly, I am begining to think that the are a gift (not like a Christmas present is a gift), but a gift like in the way that an unexpected second chance to make something right is a gift. That is how I am begining to see injuries. They are an opprotunity to see that circumstances could be much worse, the remind us just how frail an tentative our existence remains no matter how strong we feel. Injuries and pain add value to our struggles because if we didn't feel that pain or experience those injuries, we would never notice the progress that we have made or the distance we have traveled. That being said, injuries and pain are frustrating and dissappoint, some times beyond measure, but as Lance said they are temporary.

Workouts:
200 skips
2 long laps outside
4 stairs (Up& Down)
2 laps inside
10 dips
25 crossover crunches left
25 crossover crunches right
50 crunches standard
5 push ups


No comments:

Post a Comment