Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday's Workout: Burpee Hell Day!

Sunday came around and I felt like A MILLON BUCKS! Honestly, the sun was shining, the robins had returned, and I just felt awesome. The last three days had been pretty rough, but my energy level seemed to finally be right back where I needed it, and I was really looking forward to going to the gym. The only problem was that I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've been mired in a weight loss poll of stagnation for the better part of February, which really had me disappointed after Saturday's half-assed mediocre effort. I knew that I really wanted to put in some good work and really make this a hard workout. Well, I think that there is only one thing to do when you feel like you want to just give yourself an ass kicker workout: BURPEES!
God knows I hate burpees. I mean really, who likes to do burpees? Only someone who enjoyed paper cuts or the guy that actually enjoyed being stuck on the runway with Jet Blue for 24 hours could really find any pleasure in burpees. In fact, the first time that I had to do them for my exercise classes I almost renamed them "pukees"!! But . . . if you really want to improve your stamina burpees are the way to go.
However, when I got to the gym on Sunday, I noticed that the Redwings were playing the Blackhawks, and just for the sake of anyone who doesn't know me, I am a hockey nut! I'll watch just about any two teams play. I am not a fan of either of these teams, but I just couldn't pass up the chance to watch the game, so I decided to run on the treadmill while I watched the game then move on to the rest of my workout. I think that this was a wise choice on my part because by the time I got the burpees, I was already in peak workout mode and well past warmed up. Going straight into burpees is always harsh, but running seemed to make them easier (at least to start with).
The Workout:
Treadmill 30 mins: 5mins. Level 4, 10mins. Level 6, 5 mins. level 4, 5 mins. level 6, 2 mins. level 7, 3 mins. level 6

Intervals: 90 seconds work 15 seconds rest

  1. Burpees with leg ups
  2. Prisoner squats with leg ups
  3. Fire Hydrants with leg extensions
  4. Burpees with leg ups
  5. Prisoner squats with leg ups
  6. Fire Hydrants with leg extensions
  7. Burpees with leg ups
  8. Prisoner squats with leg ups
  9. Fire Hydrants with leg extensions
  10. Burpees with leg ups
  11. Prisoner squats with leg ups
  12. Fire Hydrants with leg extensions
  13. Burpees with leg ups
  14. Prisoner squats with leg ups
  15. Fire Hydrants with leg extensions

After this I was a sweaty mess and I felt like my lungs were going to bailout of my chest!!! Great Workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment